Mr. Lee's PARCC Challenge
It's that time of year again!!!! BIG NEWS! We want to improve on our scores from last year SO we are offering a pizza lunch and afternoon at the park FOR EVERY CLASS THAT HAS 90% PARTICIPATION on our practice tests.
Your student can PARTICIPATE in 1 of 2 ways (or both)
1: START NOW....scroll down and do an online challenge, when you are done take a screen grab and email or text it to your teacher. It will look like this:
2. JOIN US for our PARCC challenge night TUESDAY APRIL 10 in the library from 5:30-7 to practice on the Chrome books AND be entered to win 4 passes to CLIFFS AMUSEMENT PARK!
PAARC testing starts April 16. Please inquire with your child's teacher for a detailed schedule for your child's class.
Students in 3rd-8th grade will take the PARCC test on April 16 through April 26, 2018 (the test is 60 to 90 minutes per day for a total of eight days).
In an effort to get our students ready for PARCC, Mr. Lee is encouraging students to take practice tests as often as possible at home.
It's important to note that although our teachers are teaching the content of the test to our children at school, parents must also help their children prepare for the PARCC test by encouraging them to answer sample questions at home and following the tips listed below. It's equally important for students to know how to navigate the test online and to read all the information as it is to provide the correct answer.
How Parents Can Help
- Encourage your children to answer sample questions online as often as possible. The test is easiest to navigate using a computer, rather than a smartphone or tablet, however, any device will work.
- Take the sample tests before your child, so you may coach your child on potential pitfalls while taking the test...i.e. not reading the question correctly, not answering completely, clicking the blue arrow to move to the next question before finished answering the current question.
- Learn the material in the sample tests and quiz your child during dinner, in the car, before bed, etc. This doesn't have to be an arduous task. It can be fun if you incorporate the questions into everyday life while interacting with your child. Ask them if they see an array in the cupcake pan....ask them to help figure out how many pounds of chicken you need to feed a family of four....you get the idea...the possibilities are endless!
- Reassure your child that they are good learners and not to fear the PARCC test. Our children follow our example more than anything else they see and hear. If we believe they will do well on the PARCC, then they will believe that they will do well on the PARCC test.
- Remind ourselves and our children that test performance is not everything. Is it important? Yes, but the actual learning and preparing for life is the most important thing - that includes confidence in themselves.
Tips for Taking the Sample Test
- Take your time.
- Read and understand the complete question.
- Re-read the question and your answer before clicking clicking the blue arrow to move onto the next question.
- Practice highlighting, copying and pasting with the mouse.
- Review the questions you got wrong and ask for help if you don't understand why it's wrong. The review button is on the top right of the screen.
Take the Sample Tests
- Click the links below, choose your grade level on the next screen, then then choose a "computer-based unit".
- Enter your name.
- Answer the questions by following the tips listed above.