Cooking with Kids is a non-profit organization, based in Santa Fe who partners with Santa Fe Public Schools. Gonzales Community School is fortunate to be a Cooking with Kids site. We have a dedicated kitchen for Cooking with Kids, located on the west side of the school cafeteria. The program is provided free to our students, and is currently funded through a grant from the USDA, other local government agencies and donors. GCS PTA also makes a small donation to Cooking with Kids each year. Sadly, the USDA has decided not to fund Cooking with Kids beyond the current school year and the program is in jeopardy, so please support Cooking with Kids as much as possible.
The program provides an experiential learning opportunity for our students. Experiential learning is the process of learning through experience, and is more specifically defined as "learning through reflection on doing". Students learn and apply valuable math skills, are exposed to other cultures through their food traditions and learn that cooking healthy foods can be both fun and beneficial.
Chef Bethany works her magic with our students by providing an entertaining and educational experience. It's an experience not to be missed.
Volunteer for Cooking with Kids
Cooking with Kids is the perfect opportunity for parents and grandparents to volunteer in the classroom. Your child's teacher or Classroom Representative will provide you with specific dates and times that volunteers are needed.
Ask your student to share the recipes they learned in Cooking with Kids. Chef Bethany provides students with recipes and other cultural information from the country they focused on in class.
- Cooking with Kids educates and empowers children and families to make healthy food choices through hands-on learning with fresh, affordable foods from diverse cultural traditions.
Cooking with Kids Vision
- We envision a world where cooking is part of life, where all people have the skills and means to eat and enjoy nourishing, wholesome food every day.
Cooking with Kids Core Values
- We believe that delicious, nourishing food is the right of every child every day.
- We believe in respecting and honoring all cultures.
- We believe in youth as a catalyst for sustainable change of the food system.